We think most folks have a fairly adequate amount of common sense when it comes to epoxy applications. If you follow the directions, it’s pretty much a cake walk. However, we do get a few unusual questions from time to time regarding the safety of epoxy putties and pastes. Before we get into what you CAN do safely with our PC Epoxy products, let’s talk briefly about a few things you probably shouldn’t do, even if you’re a thrill junkie.
- Use it to fix your grandmother’s dentures
- Use it as a low calorie alternative to peanut butter
- Attempt to bedazzle your skin or hair with it
- Use it to make a mold of any of your body parts
- Inhale as many vapors as you can just to see what happens
While the resin components of epoxy products are rarely a problem, some of the hardening agents are irritants to skin, and can exude certain fumes that are not advisable to inhale. A good set of latex gloves and proper ventilation should take care of any possible issue.
**The most common adverse affect of working with epoxy products is a possible poison ivy-like rash which can develop. However, this usually occurs only after a long period of time with repeated direct skin contact with the products, resulting from a disregard for safety procedures.
PC Epoxy is Safe For:
- Use in aquariums. Best to remove the fish before working in the aquarium and until the product cures – after curing it is non-toxic to aquatic life.
- Use on grills. Certain epoxy products, like PC-Fahrenheit,are formulated specifically for use in high-heat situations, and will not become volatile when you are cooking that steak.
- Use in plumbing fixtures. PC Plumbing has been determined safe by NSF for contact with potable water as a repair product in typical plumbing applications.
- Use in fridges and freezers to repair broken drawers, etc.
General Epoxy Rule of Thumb
Epoxy is so widely used for home repairs, boatbuilding, woodworking, aircraft construction and repair, truck body repair, and so much more that it’s important to understand how to use it safely.
When working with epoxy products, the key takeaway is that most products are non-toxic, AFTER CURING. When you are mixing and applying any epoxy product, just make sure you follow the label instructions. Once it’s cured- just about anything goes!