It’s a wide and wonderful world of freedom out there today – freedom by epoxy. The many different ways that our epoxies can be utilized is like the Little Engine that Could. It just keeps chugging away uphill with new ideas, techniques and possibilities for you to try out. So, let’s get started! Read More
Being well prepared for a DIY epoxy repair project is as important as the job itself. We often talk quite a bit about what epoxy product is best for a multitude of repairs like plumbing leaks, woodwork fixes, pool cracks, auto repair, and much more. But as Benjamin Franklin once said, “by failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail,” and that guy was no dummy! So let’s chat a bit about the gear and products you may need to safely and effectively complete your chosen DIY epoxy project! Read More
A great set of pipes might be essential to the success of a singer or performer. But what about leak-free pipes in your home? We’re all about stress free homeownership. I suppose you are thinking that’s an oxymoron…and in many households, perhaps it is. While this blog post may not lower your blood pressure or increase your average life span, it WILL make the issue of a leaking pipe not so big a deal. In fact, it is likely that you won’t have to bother your plumber at all. Less stress = yes. Here’s how.
When you have invested so much time and money into your pool or spa, the last thing you want staring up at you – or your guests – is an ugly crack. Yet the mere thought of draining your pool and calling a repairman can surely cause a measurable spike in your blood pressure.
Oh no… not another story for your fishing buddies about how the big one got away. This summer, you’ve got to be prepared. Broken rods are a common occurrence in an angler’s world, but replacing quality rods regularly can get expensive. Our PC-Super Epoxy can handle a delicate job that requires heavy duty results. Your photo-op with your massive catch will be on Facebook before the day’s end! Read More
Most DIY households have a supply of wood glue in the closet. Sadly, this often does not cut the mustard when you have a serious wood repair issue. How many times have you tried to fix that stripped-out screw in a doorframe, and ended up with it ripping out again? We have a solution! Read More
If you’re not a boat enthusiast, it is quite likely that you just haven’t tried it. Whether you’re looking to fish from a center console boat, cruise with family and friends on the open ocean, or try out new moves on the skis, there is something about boating that will fit your personality and lifestyle. Let’s explore the open waters.
Your Boating Choices
Shopping for a boat is a lot like shopping for a car – there are plenty of choices depending on the size of your family, your lifestyle, and your intended use. Whether you’re interested in pleasure boating, sport fishing, yachting, or sailing – there are a variety of boats to fit your personality and interest.
Make sure to match a boat to your interest and skill level – this is the best way to get the most out of the boating experience.
Photo: Boston Whaler Revenge
The Health Benefits of Boating
Surprisingly, the benefits of boating include much more than merely stress relief. In a recent study by the Impulse Research Corporation, the physical perks of a life on the water far exceed the norm. The study determined that families who actively boat are healthier in general, more optimistic about life, possess leadership skills superior to their peers, and are more socially involved in other areas. That’s a lot of benefit!
DIY Boat Repair
As with anything, boat ownership may require a bit of TLC every now and again. That’s where Protective Coating Company comes in handy! Boat owners need to get dirty with some DIY fixes because boat repair can get costly.
There are many forums online where boat owners and enthusiasts come together to discuss repairs, how-to’s, and best practices. When it comes to keeping boats watertight, an epoxy bond has to be strong and it has to last. We have found that PC-Marine™ and PC-11® are the go-to choices for most boating enthusiasts.
So what are you waiting for? Explore the open waters this summer and reap the benefits!
Hey folks, remember gnomes have feelings too… or at least they look like they might. Garden angels, bird baths, gargoyles, and statues of the Holy Mother all deserve a little tender care and respect; after all, they spent a harsh cold winter exposed to the nasty elements. Cracks happen, chips happen… and suddenly things don’t look so brand new or cared for. So, do you need to toss your backyard treasures? We say NAH! Here’s how to fix them.
Photo by visagency
Concrete repair is simple
Don’t believe it? A bold first attempt to repair a garden gnome may have been a difficult experience for a noob in the past, but Protective Coating Company has formulated some fabulous and high-tech epoxies that eliminate “difficult” from many DIY projects. We stake our honor on it! So, grab a pair of gloves and get ready to bring your gnome back to life.
Items you will need
- A garden hose
- A stiff bristled brush
- PC-11® or PC-Crete™ epoxy
Save the gnome in 5 simple steps
1. Dampen the cement statue with your garden hose until all surfaces are wet. Scrub the statue gently with a soft-bristled brush to remove all dirt and grime that may interfere with the pc epoxy bond.
2. Allow the area to dry completely before continuing. This is the only part that will take some extra time if you are using PC-Crete™, but you don’t have to actually do anything. Have a drink. Relax.
3. Mix your PC-11® or PC-Crete™ as instructed on the package. PC-Crete™ is a putty formula that can be used to build up and replace any missing pieces. PC-11® is an excellent product as well due to its longer working time and ability to hold up under damp, cold, and wet conditions.
• PC-Crete™ is formulated with real aggregate to look and feel like concrete. Cut, mix and apply. PC-Crete™ allows a working time of about 3 minutes and cures for service in 60 minutes. It’s a “quick fix” product that’s super easy to use.
• PC-11® is formulated to provide an extended working time, for larger concrete repairs, which allows the user to reposition work or make changes as they go. The great thing about PC-11® is that it bonds to both wet and dry substrate. No wait time after hosing down.
4. Apply your pc epoxy of choice to the cement cracks or chips by squeezing it on, or applying it with a putty knife. To reattach part of the statue, apply a 1/4-inch layer of epoxy to both the broken piece and the statue and press them together for two to three minutes.
5. Wait 15 minutes and scrape off all excess epoxy with a putty knife to prevent it from hardening and developing ridges or bumps. Then allow appropriate curing time as per the package label.
What next, you wonder? Not much. The simplicity lies in the fact that PC-Crete™ epoxy looks and feels like concrete. If you need to make corrections to the paint on your gnome or statue, that counts as another project!
Creativity is not something that belongs solely to the artistically or musically gifted. We’ve all got a healthy dose of it – and it’s even better when a little creative thinking can be applied to produce something useful in our daily lives. The end result of our endeavors can be uplifting, and even make us proud.
Here’s a little secret to help you out. Creativity flows best when the tinkerer has a bag-of-tricks to help the process along without roadblocks. And what is more important in that bag-of-tricks than a stash of PC7 epoxy? Not much. Here are some reasons why:
- You can keep PC-7 around for a while. Store it in your shop or basement. It has an excellent shelf life – up to two years.
- There’s not much PC-7 won’t bond to. It works on aluminum, rubber, porcelain/ceramics, and stainless steel.
- Once cured, PC-7 is harmless and safe for contact by human or beast.
- PC-7 will withstand a temperature of 250°F. If you DO need a product that holds under extreme heat, you can use our PC Fahrenheit.
- PC-7 is resistant to oil, gasoline, diesel fuel and other petroleum products after the regular cure time. It is also resistant to mild acids, salt and fresh water and most other chemicals.
Once cured, PC-7 can be painted any color you like to fit the masterpiece you’ve created.
Need more inspiration?
If you are looking for a few examples just to spark your own creativity, we’ve got them. Here’s a list of ideas others have tried using PC-7 epoxy.
- Attach metal pieces to concrete or rock (think yard art). PC-7 forms a much stronger bond than regular glue, and is resistant to outdoor elements.
- Repair those toppled cemetery gravestones you feel sorry for. (We actually get calls for this very reason!)
- Build a wall. How many times have you driven past an attractive stone wall and admired it? Go ahead, with PC-7 it’s an easy DIY. (Tip: Ask a farmer where his stone pile is and if you can use some – chances are he’s got way more than he wants or needs.)
- Fix rusted automotive body paneling.
- Rescue and animal. Do a good deed and creatively repair a turtle’s cracked shell. Vet’s do it!
- Replace old wooden balusters with lovely new iron ones. Epoxy seals the deal.
Do we have your creative thoughts flowing yet? It’s time to get your Tom Edison or Michelangelo on and get to work. You’ll be amazed at all you can accomplish.
“Things that make you go…. Hmmm”